8.28.2008

Nie Nie Day

I miss this goose.


I've been really unsure about how I could participate in Nie Nie Day. After all, I don't even know her besides a degree or two of separation.

I do know there are some lovely silent auctions being held here and here and (look here for more). But I've been a bit preoccupied with my own family's health issues to gather auction items or to make any myself. And, let's be honest, what would I make? A sandwich?

So I thought about intangible items I could auction at my site, but I just didn't think anyone would want to bid on my keen wit. (I still have it, don't I?) And offering to guest blog for a price sounded conceited, but writing is my one TALENT in the conventional sense. (Apparently, dainty toes do not count.)

Anyway, I decided that the best I can offer is my compassion. And it's free to all of you, but most especially to Nie. Something about the level of pain and the extent of physical scarring she'll endure seems so disturbing when juxtaposed with her jovial personality and dedication to beauty, which we saw daily on her blog. Not to mention the pain we feel for her husband who is experiencing a similar trial, and for their four children who are temporarily orphaned - though in great, familiar hands.

Like most of you, my mind has been haunted by thoughts of what she felt during the crash, the pain she suffered in the flames and the excruciating physical and mental journey she has ahead, assuming all goes well. The trials she and her family are experiencing have given me a retroactive love for her blog, which I merely enjoyed before. It's helped me learn a few things:

1. Life is beautiful even when it's boring or monotonous. We need to appreciate the present because it's the only thing we can count on, so make every day special.

2. Take pictures! Even of yourself on a fat day/bad-hair day/frumpy day. You might surprise yourself at how beautiful and confident you'll look a year from now. Plus, your posterity will have lots to remember you by.

3. Treasure your children. Have lots of children. Be the mom you are naturally, not the mom you think you should be.

4. Have an affair with your spouse.

5. Wear more red lipstick. Or, in my case, buy some red lipstick. Life is too short for taupe.


What have you learned from Nie?

11 comments:

Laurel said...

I've learned to enjoy my life more. One of the last post I read of hers before the accident was that she loved her life and it got me thinking about my own. I began to wonder if I loved mine as much.

Conclusion: I love my life too.

Ashley said...

I love how simple her life was. I also love how much she enjoyed being with her children.

Jessi said...

To me, Stephanie represents the epitome of what it means to be feminine. She embraces her womanly nature and exults in her role as a wife and mother. I'm trying to do that a little more in my life.

liz said...

I love your #3 about being who you are, not who you think you should be. Bloggers like Nie are so fun to read, but we have to fight the urge to try to be someone else, and instead try to be our own best selves. Love yourself.

sara said...

I agree with everything you've said. From the first time I read Nie, she made me want to be a better wife & mother. But she's so unpretentious about it; really genuine. And she's super duper healthy too - what with all the oatmeal and vegetables they eat, yoga, running marathons and the like!

There are so many great auctions going on and so many of the bids are already WAY up!! It's an exciting day! I hope one day Stephanie will be able to see how many people have come together to help, and that she will know how mnay people love her.

stephanie said...

you've said it all so perfectly, mrs. dub. nie is special. and so are you.

Leisha Mareth said...

There is no excuse to let yourself go! Nie inspires me to wear pretty clothes, make my house pretty and to find my OWN personal style. She is an original and she inspires me to be my own original, however different from her it might be.

On a different note, have you noticed how many people on blogs across America keep speaking of her in past tense? It is maddening....She will be back with a vengence, wiser, stronger and more beautiful.

Eurogirl said...

I "know" her through her blog, and the fact that some of my friends are friends with her from their ward.
It almost feels silly to be dedicating my every moment to a family that I have never actually *met*, but I do it anyway.

tara said...

She is beautiful and will forever be. It's what inside of her, her appearance is just an added bonus.

I'd pay you to guest blog at La Vie est Belle! You are funny and witty and charming! You've still got it, of course!

Maybe just give a shout out to the auction I'm doing today for a video. There are no bid's yet, which comes as no surprise b/c most of what is on my blog is all about my kids-- it wasn't created for a large audience, but this is for a good purpose, so I'd like it to go!

M-Ware said...

I just realized I found Nie's blog thru YOURS, Mrs. Dub!! So thank you for that. I enjoy yours both on a daily basis. Something I've learned from Nie is that cake plates are seriously awesome. I wish I had one. Okay, I have one but it is lame. It is see-thru glass - so boring! But she definitely has a style that is just unbelievable. Really. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the stylishness that is Nie. But she pulls it off flawlessly. Thanks for this little tribute, Mrs. D. It's the only one I can contribute to at the moment :)

Super B said...

Just a side note. I found your blog, Mrs. Dub, thru M-Ware (we were college roommates.) I have enjoyed this blogging world, including your blog and would pay to have you write on my blog...or rather pay to be able to write like you.
I really agree with what everyone has said thus far. Nie is beautiful inside and out. She is feminine, vintage, passionate, laid back...and the list goes on. I love the way she loves her kids and lets them BE kids. I hope to be like that with my own children.